Those who are passionate about cooking want to know how to make KFC’s original fried chicken, as it is an outstanding chicken recipe. It is among those delicacies that can serve both as a dinner item and a picnic delight.
Ingredients required for KFC original fried chicken recipe are as follows
- 1 full chicken
Purchase a good fryer if you can. Do not choose one which is already nicely chopped and wrapped in plastic. Use a fresh one. Cut it into smaller pieces for frying. Cut the chicken into nine pieces- two legs, two thighs, two ribs, two wings and the breast. If you are not sure of how to cut these pieces, you can get some expert help, or have your butcher do it.
- 150 grams of all purpose flour, mixed with “secret” spices, as listed below. This gives the KFC original fried chicken its crispiness. KFC is famous for its extra crispy recipes. It has its own patented cooking appliances. Check the list below for 11 secret herbs in KFC’s original fried chicken.
- 1 can of Tomato Soup.
- 2 eggs
The eggs not only provide flavor to the chicken but also help the spiced flour adhere. If you do not add eggs, the flour may not stick to the chicken. The eggs give a good flavor to the chicken and make it sticky enough for plenty of seasoned flour batter to stick to.”
- 2/3 cup of milk
Milk provides required amount of moisture to the fried chicken.
- Vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan, about 1/2 inch deep
The 11 secret herbs in KFC’s original fried chicken recipe are as follows
- 1/3 tablespoon of salt
- 1/3 tablespoon of oregano
- 2 tablespoon of garlic salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon of basil
- 1 tablespoon of celery salt
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of dry mustard
- 4 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoon of Mono Sodium Glutamate (Accent)
How to make KFC original fried chicken?
Read the steps and you can easily learn.
- Take a bowl and beat the eggs thoroughly with the help of rotary eggbeater. Pour the milk into the beaten eggs and whisk the eggs and milk to blend them.
- In another bowl mix the flour and soup.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and milk batter. Make sure the batter covers the chicken completely. To get the perfect marinade and to allow time for the milk to make the chicken juicy inside, soak it for 12 hours.
- Then roll it in the flour mixture to coat it completely.
- Repeat the above two step to make it extra crispy.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan. Fry the chicken pieces in the frying pan on a low frame. KFC uses pressure fryers for this, to ensure the perfection of its chicken delicacies. Cook for 20-30 minutes, turning frequently, until golden-brown.
- Place the fried chicken pieces on a paper towel to drain the oil.
Serve it with gravy for better flavor.
Tips for making any type of fried chicken
Brining: Soak the chicken in cold salty water at least for 30 minutes. Then drain the water and pat dry before frying.
- For best result, use an iron skillet.
- Do not put too many chicken pieces in the frying pan at once.
- Make sure that your chicken pieces are cooked thoroughly and evenly by turning them frequently.
- Pierce a large chicken piece with fork to determine if it is cooked. Look for clear juices rather than pink. For white meat, a minimum temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit is required, whereas for dark meat it should be 170.
How to make KFC original fried chicken is no longer a secret. Try it out with the tips mentioned above. Well seasoned meat and good quality chicken are the keys to good fried chicken. The above recipe is close to KFC’s original fried chicken but not an exact replica. You can also experiment with different flavors to create your own fried chicken recipe or to make it more appealing.