Anyone in the world can be easily carried away on the wave of creativity of Harland Sanders. The sights, sounds and the smells of the kitchen always inspire me to cook like great chefs. According to me, household kitchens are a treasure trove of raw materials ready to be transformed into a great dish of the world. KFC discloses its world famous recipe only to its customers’ tongues. Yet there are great cooks who can discover the ingredients just by tasting it. Though not the original, something quite close to the original recipe is available. So if you are far from a KFC outlet, then no need to wait. Instead, make it yourself and discover the cook inside you.
Ingredients for KFC gravy recipe
- Half tablespoon of melted shortening
Shortening is the vegetable oil used in baking. Shortening is little more viscous than oil so add extra water to get the perfect gravy.
- 3 tablespoon of breading flour
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 can Campbell’s condensed chicken stock
- 1 can water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon mono sodium glutamate
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 10 ounce Franco American beef gravy
- 1 pinch ground sage. Sage is one of the most popular herbs in United States to enhance the flavor of both vegetable and non-vegetable dishes. It is an astringent and provides fragrant aroma to the dish. There was a time when sage was used as a medicine. Now it is a part of world’s most famous chicken restaurant that is KFC.
Method to prepare KFC Gravy recipe
Instruction to prepare roux
Step 1: Roux is made to thicken gravies. It is not a rocket science to made roux in home. Just follow the steps
- Pour half tablespoon shortening in a pan and melt it. Add 1/2 tablespoon of breading flour and stir it with wooden stick. Keep stirring it ill the mixture gets too thick and it becomes light brown in color.
- The more you cook roux, more flavor it provides to the gravy. Do not cook it till mahogany color.
Step 2: Remove this mixture from heat and add the remaining flour.
Step 3: Now slowly add the other ingredients including liquid. Keep stir it to avoid lump formation.
Step 4: Boil this mixture and keep stirring it so that no lumps are formed in the mixture.
Step 5: Boil for 2 minutes.
Step 6: Reduce the heat so that the mixture get thicken. It will take around 5-6 minutes to get the desired thickness. Check the thickness of the gravy on a steel spoon. Check for the thick fall of the gravy from the spoon. It should not stick to the steel spoon.
The results are more than simply satisfying. The pepper and sage add an interesting dimension to the replica of KFC’s Gravy recipe.
A small investment of common ingredients, carefully woven thoughts and some labor in the food laboratory that is my kitchen reaped benefits. The above KFC Gravy recipe is the closest ever to KFC’s gravy recipe that I’ve ever tasted.